Monday, February 27, 2023

Film Planning Day 2

Today my group and I finalized the storyline of the film and who will be in charge of each role. Only me and Brandon share a study hall, so we all communicated final ideas through a group chat. When it came to deciding the jobs and responsibilities of each person, I offered being the director. I wanted not to control the group but take charge and be on top of the flow of the film and since I had a lot of ideas to begin with, I wanted to contribute as much as I could. Being the director also meant helping in camera work and editing which I was gladly ready to take on. Brandon wanted to stay behind the scenes to begin with, so he volunteered to be the camera man. Jada had prior experience in editing so wanted to be the film's editor.

Cinematographer/ Camera work: Brandon

Sound and film editing: Jada

Director: Anngelie (me)

Other than technical aspects, we also decided on performing roles. I didn't mind acting, and my team wanted to stay more behind the scenes, so I took the role of the lead character, Carla. We also asked one friend and my theater teacher to take on other important characters in the film.

Carla: Anngelie (me)

Carla's Mother: Emily

The teacher Mr. Johnson: Mr. Kean

Jada and I started on the script while Brandon took note of camera angles, shots, and movements that could be used in our film. Not only that but we started taking note of Carla's costume and props used in the film.

Carla's costume: smart, wears glasses.

Props: bad test sheet, fake savings money, fake knife, and Carla's belongings (bag and folders.)

The finalized plot is going as follows:

-Carla is in class (media studies class) finishing up some work until she checks the time and starts packing her stuff.

-As she’s walking out of school, she receives a notification regarding her final grade.

-Carla checks her phone only to find out that her teacher, Mr. Johnson, gave her an F on the final.

-Panicking, Carla gets flashbacks to her mom yelling at her (in Spanish) for a bad grade she got in the past.

-Flashback transitions to the calm waves of Spain which reminds her of her goal.

-Carla goes inside the theater to speak to Mr. Johnson about the grade but he refuses to change it.

-Carla walks away in despair and anger until she spots a knife

-Carla grabs the knife and kills her teacher while thinking, “nobody will stop me from leaving this place.”

So basically, a Drama filled with suspense and death. We want our film to cater to students who face high pressure from strict parents. Carla, as a Hispanic girl gets frequent scolding from her mother. This motivates Carla to work hard in order to move out and leave somewhere far from her household. Our film can also cater to teachers who don't find compassion with their students at times and make zero exceptions. Audiences of young adults still in school and Hispanic children can relate the most to the film and the message it sends out: "high pressure can bring rash decisions."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

  My creative critical reflection! I loved putting this PowerPoint together and making it match the film created with our group.